In every passing year, graduating students from a university and polytechnic in Nigeria participate some activities in the NYSC orientation camp, and this year too is not excluded. In this article, let’s look at the orientation camp activities in 2022.
Every corps member must pass through four notable sections during their NYSC program. As a matter of fact, life at NYSC orientation camp is the first and most interesting one for corps members.
I don’t really know why some Corpers refer to NYSC activities as stressful though they’re filled with fun.
Here in this article is all about NYSC Orientation Camp and also the activities of NYSC during the orientation camp program.
Read this also: list of companies that accept Corpers in Abuja 2022.
When the students have been mobilized, received their call-up letter, and know the date for the commencement of their orientation camp, they are allowed three or four days to start going to the orientation camp to report and get registered.
Note: after the deadline, no prospective corps member will be allowed into the camp.
Hence, the person remains a “prospective” Corps Member. So it is important to arrive at the camp early enough so as to be able to complete your registration on time.
The camp is also important in order to fulfill the objectives of the orientation camp.
Now, the NYSC orientation camp activities are discussed below.
Activities in NYSC camp
The Orientation Camp
The necessary arrangements for a successful registration and camp experience must have been put in place by the NYSC authorities before the arrival of the corps members.
Different registration points are organized to take you through the various stages of registration and during which corps members are expected to corporate with the registration officials and be patient with the process.
The NYSC officials are there to guide and direct you on anything you may not understand and to train you. So, whenever you are confused about anything, feel free to ask them any question you may want to ask.
Consider the camp a small town as all the facilities you will need are made available there. When you need to buy anything, you visit the mini market.
When things begin to get a little daisy with your health, there is a clinic available for you to visit. There is the provision of accommodation, beds/mattresses, food, water, and kitting for corps members.
And, just in passing, those facilities are also at the disposal of the officials to use.
During the registration process, the following documents will be requested from you by the registration officials:
- Your call-up letter (please do not laminate this document)
- Your last institution’s ID card
- Original certificates/statement of result
When the above-mentioned documents have been screened, the following will be given to you:
- State code number (just for you and not to be shared)
- A meal ticket (or meal card)
- A file in which you can put all your credentials
- Registration of your name in what is referred to as the “Book Of Life”
- The NYSC officials will supervise you in filling out the series of NYSC forms.
Preferably, use capital letters in filling your forms for legibility purpose and make sure the information you provide on your forms are correct so they don’t contradict each other.
All addresses provided must contain the house number, name of the street, town name, and possibly the post office number.
Also, try and display some level of maturity and self-component by waiting for your turn to get anything. What I’m saying in essence is queue up, please don’t scramble for anything.
Read these also:
- Bank Recruitment 2022 in Nigeria
- Nile University school fees for all courses (2022)
- Scholarship opportunities in Nigeria for undergraduates (2022)
- How to apply for INEC Adhoc staff recruitment in 2022
- Immediately after you are cleared from the screening point, you’ll be given your meal ticket. This ticket will allow feed during your stay at the orientation camp alone and not outside.
- Please take good care of your meal ticket as you may not eat from the camp if it gets missing while getting from someone else to eat is undoable.
Accommodation on camp
- Every corps member is given a mattress and a place after they have completed their registration, hence the need to arrive on time.
- No one is permitted to use two mattresses or move his/her mattress to another room or use up to two-bed spaces.
- No one is also allowed to call in for room services because of the risks involved regarding your valuables.
- Everywhere should be kept as clean as possible, including the rooms and restrooms (toilet).
Orientation Broadcasting Services (OBS)
- This is a service that disseminates information throughout the camp.
- It enhances the quick and easy flow of information and this service is managed by the public relations committee.
- Corps members that possess the skill in or love engineering and broadcasting are chosen to join the OBS committee.
Religious Activities at Orientation Camps
- Religious activities on camp are conducted according to the guidelines contained in the constitution. Therefore, based on that, the NYSC acknowledges Sundays for Christian worship and Fridays for Muslims, and nothing more.
- This makes it obvious that no other program is paramount in the orientation camp than the camp activities.
- Lectures on camp are meant to equip corps members with the adequate knowledge needed for the mission ahead, hence, it is mandatory.
- Giving your time for several lectures is never a waste of time as the lectures are always enriched with the necessary information you need.
In addition to the lectures, language studies are organized to equip corps members with the basics of the language of the host state to enhance their communication with the residents of the state after their orientation camp courses.
- Priority is placed on discipline, hence the existence of the military on camp. Therefore, every corps member is to conduct his/herself in the best possible manner and by this, we mean to stick to the rules.
- Any corps member who trespasses any rule and is caught will be disciplined as decided by the Orientation Camp Court.
- Nothing should be done without due permission from the appropriate authorities. Also, everyone is expected to be security conscious and report any doubtful act or movement to the police or any official on camp.
Most importantly, corps members should try as much as possible to be kitted accordingly, for example, endeavor to the kitting from the parade to parade, and for other programs to such programs.
- All medical cases are handled by the camp clinic which runs for 24 hours during the orientation exercise and all treatments are administered for free.
- The clinic is managed by professional medical practitioners.
See these also:
- List of all accredited Medical schools in Nigeria 2022
- Top best motivational quotes for success, students, etc. (2022)
- Electricity distribution companies in Nigeria 2022
- List of accredited College of Health Technology in Nigeria
- Name of all female Vice Chancellors in Nigeria for all universities
Accounts Department/Corps Allowances
The accounting department takes care of coppers allowances. Allowances given on camp include:
- Transport allowance (this is paid on arrival at the camp)
- Local transport is also known as bicycle allowance
- Monthly allowance: this is the last allowance given to corps members at the end of their orientation course.
Corps members continue to receive their monthly allowance after the orientation camp, but this is granted to them after they have been duly cleared by their employer at the end of every month and issued a clearance.
Any corps member who is not cleared will have to forfeit his allowance for that month
Kitting/Mode of Dressing of Corpers in Orientation Camp
The public relations officer issues every corps member on completion of their registration upon arrival at camp the NYSC identity card. This card is legal and not transferable.
In the same vein, NYSC Store Officer also gives the NYSC kit items to corps members. The kit items are to be worn only by registered corps members and these items are:
- Plain vests
- 1 Youth Corps cap
- 1 Khaki shirt and a trousers
- 1 Youth Corps belt
- 1 pair of jungle boots
- 2 P.E. shorts
- 1 vest with NYSC emblem
- 1 pair of white canvas shoes
- 2 pairs of stockings
Once the kit is given, all modes of dressing should be done accordingly for easy identification of corps members and outsiders for security purposes.
Camp activities are carried out with discipline to time and rules and every corps member is expected to comply for a smooth and successful orientation camp experience. Some of the activities are:
- Military parade/drills
- Man O War activities
- Social activities
- Endurance trek
As earlier said, the orientation camp operates with a lot of rules of which are:
- Cultism is taboo in the camp. It is highly prohibited
- Drug addiction has no place at the camp
- Stealing is an abomination on camp. Do not attempt it.
- Rioting/demonstrations and the likes are not part of paramilitary
- Group meetings are not allowed at camp
- Rape is a serious crime against humanity
- Fighting on camp attracts severe penalty
- Taking a double ration of food makes one liable for the surcharge
- Flippancy and unguarded utterances attract severe punishment
- Ensure that you participate in all camp activities
- Avoid rumor-mongering, and always seek information at the appropriate quarters.
- Be prudent in spending. Remember you will settle down for your primary assignment.
- Smoking/chewing of gum are not allowed on the parade
- Always observe the lights-out instruction
- Discipline is the watchword in NYSC
All activities on the camping program are designed for your own good; hence, please comply.
They participate in dance and drama competitions, including Miss NYSC and Mr. Macho.
They also participate in inter-platoon competitions on football, volleyball, table tennis, cooking, and sanitation.
Corps members are also trained in Man ‘O’ War activities leading to competitions on inter-platoon drills and tug of war.
NYSC ANTHEM is one of the activities which must be done by Corpers during their program in the orientation camp. The NYSC ANTHEM is written below in quotation marks and italic form.
”Youths obey the clarion call
Let us lift our nation high
Under the sun or in the rain
With dedication and selflessness
Nigeria is ours, Nigeria we serve
Member take the great salute
Put the nation first in all
With service and humanity
NYSC for the noble youth
Make Nigeria a great nation
Far and near we come to serve
And to build our fatherland
With oneness and loyalty
NYSC for unity
Hail Nigeria our great nation.”
If you know that this article has helped you know NYSC orientation camp activities, then please subscribe to our newsletter for more important updates.