Looking for the list of all accredited universities in Nigeria that offer Music in Nigeria? Are you planning to study Music in Nigeria? Please continue reading this article for more information!!
Music as a course cannot be studied in Polytechnic. That is, if you want to study Music, then university is the compulsory school for you to attend in order to obtain B.A in Music once and for all.
However, if you don’t have a will to go to university directly, then study for its related course at the polytechnic or college of education and make a switch in future.
Read this also: how to deactivate USSD code of any bank on your phone.
Some of the Music related courses are:
- Education and Music
- Communication Arts
- Theater Arts
- Performing Art
List of all universities that offer Music in Nigeria
Do you know that Music is one of the hot cake courses in Nigeria and every university that offers it is also competitive, for example, UNILAG Music department?
To gain an admission to study Music in any university in Nigeria, your JAMB score, Post UTME score and WAEC Grades will be calculated and the aggregate score is what determine if you qualify to be admitted.
Now, the list of all Nigerian universities that offer Music are:
1. University of Lagos
The University of Lagos (popularly known as UNILAG) was founded in 1962. Yes, of course, it offers Music because the Department of Creative Arts offers programs in music, theatre arts and visual arts.
UNILAG department of Creative Arts offers B.A. (Hons) Degree in Creative Arts with options in Music, Theatre Arts and Visual Arts.
The average number of credit units designed for student graduation is 148 Credit Units. The general courses’ code is identified with the symbol CRA, Music with MUS, Theatre Arts with THA while Visual Arts courses are identified with the symbol VSA.
Concentration in each area of the four-year programme starts in the second year. The courses are distributed into Core, Required and Elective.
At the end of the third year, students are expected to proceed for between two to three months, on Student Industrial Work Experience (SIWES). This carries two credit units.
Read this also: Babcock university notable alumni.
2. University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
The need to start the establishment of music programme in the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) was largely informed by current needs of the Niger Delta community, developmental trends, activities and efforts in the Nigerian music institutions and entertainment industry.
Apart from serving academic purposes, the institutionalization of a department of music in the University of Port Harcourt would serve as a veritable platform to harness soaring musical talents among Nigerians, especially those within the Niger Delta region.
There is no doubt, therefore, that this development would effectively serve, engage, and empower the young and the old in meaningful creative process and skill development to better serve the humanity.
The rationale behind the establishment of a department of music in the University of Port Harcourt is to create an enabling environment where music as an art can be exposed, expressed, practised, and appreciated.
The curriculum has also been designed to cater for the interest of students who intend to offer a full four-year Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree, as well as graduate programmes in music
3. University of Ibadan (UI)
Before you will be offered admission to study Music in UI, you ought to have scored high in JAMB and have also passed the cut off mark necessary for one to gain admission into the course in question. To be on the safer side, you need to target at least a score of 200 and above in your JAMB result for you to have high chances of gaining admission into any of the universities in Nigeria. For more details on the cut off mark, first please see UI Cut Off Mark for Music here.
Established in 1948, the University of Ibadan, UI as it is fondly referred to, is the first University in Nigeria.
Candidates who wish to study Music in the University Of Ibadan (UI) must possess Five ‘O’ level subjects at one sitting or 6 ‘O’ level subjects at two sittings.
4. Delta State University, Abraka
The Department of Music’s mission, Delta State University, Abraka is to prepare music majors for careers in the field of music by completing requirements for bachelor’s degrees in Performance, Music Education, and Liberal Arts.
The Department provides supportive instruction to both majors and non-majors in music theory, music history, music education, and performance to cultivate the development of musical skills, knowledge and appreciation.
The Department works to foster an engaging and stimulating environment on campus and in the surrounding community by presenting musical performances that are open to the public, mentoring music students of all ages, and developing partnerships with school music programs and music teachers in the region and state.
Meanwhile, the Department of Music at Delta State University will be a stimulating and engaging learning environment that inspires and facilitates the success of individual students.
The faculty and curricula will offer cultural and educational opportunities that support the development of musical skills, knowledge and perspectives, so all who are active in the Department of Music may broaden their musical careers.
Read this also: how to calculate UNIZIK aggregate score in 2021.
5. MOUNTAIN TOP
Mountain Top University is a privately owned university in Makogi Oba, Ogun State, Nigeria, founded in 2015. It was founded by Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, a Pentecostal Christian denomination. The university was founded by Dr. D.K.
It is one of the top best universities in Nigeria in our list which offer Music department.
|Course Name||Bachelor of Arts in Music|
|Study Mode||Full time|
According to Mounting Top University, Music, in its different manifestations, is a universal phenomenon essential to the existence of MAN in various functional and re-creative dimensions.
Hence, being one of the top best private university in Nigeria, it is its vision to establish a music institution that will impact the local Nigerian and the global music communities through top-notch music scholarship, creativity and performance.
6. Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
OAU as a federal government university, it accepts admission on the basis of different reasons.
For gaining an admission into Obafemi Awolow University to study Music through JAMB, here are what you need to know.
- For a start, you need to have at least 5 credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC/NABTEB or NECO) including English and Mathematics not more than two (2) sittings before you can study Music in OAU.
- You must have reached the AGE of sixteen (16) by the 31st day of October in the year you sit for JAMB examination.
- Meet OAU Music Cut off Mark.
- Choose Correct JAMB Subject Combination.
- Have a good JAMB, WAEC, Post UTME Score
OAU is hence one of the universities in Nigeria in our list that offer Music. If you want to gain an admission through JAMB UTME, do try to score more than 200 points.
7. Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
The department of Music was established in Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK) on November 1992 as a Unit of the then Department of Arts.
Gaining admission into UNIZIK to study Music and obtain Bachelor of Art (B.A.) degree, there are two modes: UTME and Direct entry.
A. UTME admission is based on the University’s minimum entry requirement.
This mode of admission requires candidate to write JAMB and POST UTME exam and he/she is expected to cross the the requirement criteria such as scoring very high.
B. As a matter of fact, no additional requirements are needed to study music at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
Hence, holders of NCE or OND in Music are admitted through direct entry. I.e, they join the programme in year two, two hundred level.
8. University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
University of Nigeria, Nsukka (also known as UNN) is federal government university located in Enugu state.
UNN offers Music and below are some of the basic requirements to gain admission into it to study Music.
- 5-credit level passes in the WASC/GCE O/L (including English Language and any science subject) at not more than two sittings.
- N.C.E. (single subject with a least a merit) or N.D. in Music or any other qualifications acceptable to Senate for the 3-year Direct Entry degree programme.
- Diploma in Music Education with at least a merit pass from a recognised University, N.C.E. (double major) with at least a merit pass or any other qualifications acceptable to Senate for the 2-year Direct Entry degree programme.
All applicants, by whichever mode they seek admission, must satisfy the Department of Music of their basic musical aptitude and competence at a specially conducted departmental audition.
This consists of written (theoretical), practical examinations. Candidates are recommended for admission only after they have successfully passed the audition, which normally holds in the last Thursday and Friday in August each year.
9. University of Uyo
Below are the requirements for candidates that wish to gain admission into University Of Uyo through JAMB To Study Music.
- For a start, you need to have at least 5 credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC/NABTEB or NECO) including English and Mathematics not more than two (2) sittings before you can study Music in UNIUYO.
- You must have reached the AGE of sixteen (16) by the 31st day of October in the year of admission.
- Meet UNIUYO Music Cut off Mark.
- Choose Correct JAMB Subject Combination.
- Have a good JAMB, WAEC, Post UTME Score.
Below are the requirements for candidates that wish to gain admission into University Of Uyo through Direct Entry To Study Music.
- A minimum of 5 credits in the Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE/GCE) Ordinary Level Credits in a maximum of two (2) sittings.
- Degree (First Class/Second Class Upper) in related fields.
- Direct entry candidates are required to purchase the UNIUYO Direct Entry form through the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) And UNIUYO Portal.
- A minimum of Merit Pass in the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND) and other Advanced Level Certificates.
- Other qualifications acceptable to the Senate of the University, and being equivalent to (1) and (4) above. In addition to the above minimum admission requirements, candidates must also satisfy such Faculty/Departmental entry requirements.
10. Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
At Babcock University, they aim to provide a holistic education in musical performance and audio production.
The Department of Music and Creative Arts, Babcock University is the fifth to be established in the School of Education and Humanities.
To study Music in Babcock University, make sure you must be designed for a four-year period consisting eight semesters.
Each semester consists of 16 weeks of formal teaching, labs, studio, workshop activities, projects, internship, junior and senior recitals, and general assessments.
The general requirements for studying Music at Babcock University include the following:
- The completion of a minimum of 189 credits units including core, elective and general education courses.
- All core (compulsory) courses must be taken and passed by the student before the degree can be awarded.
- Elective courses will consist of a wide range of courses located within or outside the department from which students must select a given number, which they must pass before they can be awarded a degree.
- Completed, reported and defended research project supervised by a staff project supervisor.
Read this also: top best private universities to study Medicine in Nigeria 2022.
11. Bowen University, Iwo
Bowen university is one of the oldest private institutions of higher education in Nigeria, established in 2001 by the Nigerian Baptist Convention (NBC).
At Bowen University, Iwo, Ibadan, Oyo state, you can study Music or obtain Bachelor of Art degree from the following departments:
1. B.A. Music
2. B.A. Theatre Arts
3. B.A. English
4. B.A. History and International Studies
5. B.A. Religious Studies
Colleges of education in Nigeria that offer Education and Music
The top notable colleges of education suitably good to study or offer Music Education as a course are:
1. Alvan Ikoku College Of Education
Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education is located in Owerri, Imo state. Currently, it is in Affiliation with the University of Nigeria.
In Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education, Owerri, you can study Education and Music to obtain an NCE certificate.
2. College Of Education, Agbor
The College of Education, Agbor is in Affiliation with the Delta State University, Abraka.
Hence, you can study Education and Music in it to obtain an NCE before you attend any university of your choice to study Music.
This tertiary institution is one of the best that offer Music education in Nigeria. Please note that after obtaining an NCE, any one of the universities we discussed earlier will accept you to obtain Bachelor of Art in Music from them.
3. Ignatius Ajuru University Of Education
At the inception of Ignatius Ajuru University Of Education (IAUE) in 1988, the Department offered Music with Fine and Applied Arts, and in 1991, the Department of Music was fully established in the main campus of the College of Education.
It then offered Music/English, Music/Religious Studies and Music/Primary Education at the N.C.E. level.
Students study Education and Music at IAUE in order to:
- Acquire and understand the common elements and organizational patterns of music and their interactions, and their ability to demonstrate this understanding in aural, visual and verbal analysis.
- Acquire and develop the ability to compose and/or to improvise at a basic level in one or more musical styles or genres.
- Develop the ability to select the best musical methods and materials for meeting the objectives of the learning experience.
- Become aware of the diverse cultures in our society and thereby develop more curiosity in the life, music and culture of other societies in historical and contemporary perspective.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the appropriate historical and stylistic performance practices.
- Work independently and co-operatively on a variety of musical problems, form and defend value judgments about music.
- Have a basic overview understanding of how technology serves in the field of music as a whole and a working knowledge of the technological developments applicable to their area of specialization.
- Acquire knowledge and skills sufficient to work as leaders and in collaboration on matters of musical interpretations, including rehearsals, conducting skills as appropriate to the particular music specialization and degree program.
- Acquire experience both on the keyboard and one or two secondary instruments and/or performance areas such as dance, theatre arts etc.
- Be prepared as music teachers who can stand tall in their professional competence to function effectively as constructive, socio -economic, moral and spiritual change agents needed to promote goodwill, peace and progress in Nigeria and in the 21st century world.
4. Nwafor Orizu College Of Education, Nsugbe
Nwafor Orizu College Of Education was founded in 1976 as a college of education. Since this institution was established, it has grown to find a lot of courses and disciplines.
Please note that Nwafor Orizu College of Education is located in Nsugbe, Anambra State. It is named after Prince Abyssinia Akweke Nwafor Orizu who was the Nigeria’s second Senate President from November 16, 1960 to January 15, 1966 during the Nigerian First Republic.
This COE institution is one of the recommended we have in the list that offer Education and Music, hence after your three years programm, you can attend any of the eleven universities in Nigeria or abroad which we have discussed earlier in this post for your degree programm.
If you know that this article has helped you know the list of all universities in Nigeria which offer Music, please share it with your friends and remember to subscribe to our newsletter for more important updates.