In Yoruba land, their traditional rulers are known as Oba. Are you interested to know the list, name and explanation of top best and most powerful Oba (King) in Yoruba land such as Osun state, Oyo state, Ondo state, Ekiti state, etc.? If yes, then we have got you covered in this article.
The list of top best most powerful Yoruba land’s traditional king/ruler or Oba in this 2022 are discussed below one by one. Now, let’s continue!!
List of all kings in Yoruba land
The Oba of the Ooni of Ife is the number one most powerful traditional king in Yoruba land. The current Ooni of Ife is Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi.
According to the Alake of Egbaland, the Ooni is the first of the five principal Obas in Yoruba land just like the Sultan of Sokoto is the highest ruler in the northern part of Nigeria.
Read these also:
Female are restricted from becoming a traditional king in any community in Yoruba towns. It is forbidden for a woman to become an Oba (traditional ruler) in Yoruba land but their can serve in any other leadership such as politics or association.
Now, the list of all current most powerful Oba (kings) in Yoruba land are as follows.
Key: Oba Type | Palace Name | Oba Name.
- Ooni of Ife | Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi.
- Olowu Abeokuta | Adegboyega Dosunmu Amororo II.
- Alaafin Oyo | Lamidi Adeyemi III.
- Oba Ado Ado Bini | Abdul-Lateef Adeniran Akanni Ojikutujoye I.
- Oore Otun Otun Ekiti | Adekunle Adeayo Adeagbo.
- Orangun Ila | Abdul Wahab Olukayode Oyedotun Bibiire I.
- Awujale Ode | Sikiru Kayode Adetona.
- Apero Ijero | Oba Adewole.
- Olojudo Ido Ogundaru | Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo III.
- Ilara Ara | Olubayo Adesola Windapo.
- Elekole Ikole | Adetunla Adeleye II.
- Owa Ijesa | Samson Adeleke Agunbiade.
- Oloye Oye | Michael Oluwole Ademolaju.
- Alake Abeokuta | Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo III.
- Ewi Ado | Lateef Adeniran Akanni.
- Alaaye Efon | Obalufon Alaayemore.
- Ologotun | SAMUEL OLADAPO OYEBADE.
- Akarigbo Shagamu | Babatunde Adewale Ajayi.
- Oloyi Ife Oyi Ife (Jebba) | Abdulkadir Adebara.
- Agura Abeokuta | Saburee Babajide Isola Bakre.
- Ogoga Ikere | Obasoyin Ayodele Ganiyu.
- Oshemowe Ondo | Oba Adesimbo Victor Kiladejo JILO III.
- Oshile Abeokuta | Adedapo Adewale Tejuoso.
- Elemure Emure | Emmanuel Adebowale Adebayo.
- Onigbajo Igbajo | ADENIYI FASADE.
- Olowo Oko Owo | Folagbade Olateru Olagbegi III.
- Olowo Ile Owo | Ajibade Gbadegesin Ogunoye.
- Ewusi Shagamu (Onimakun) | Timothy Akinsanya.
- Onise Ise | Ayodele Ajayi Aweloye II.
- Olojudo Ido Efon | Aderemi Obaleye.
- Owa Idanre | Fredrick Aroloye.
- Alajogun Ajase | Ismail Atoloye.
- Oba Dada Dahomey | Dah Sagbadjou Glele.
- Onibara Abeokuta | Dr Jacob Olufemi Omolade.
- Onire Ire ti Oye | Gbolahan Lawal.
- Oloton Oton Koro |UPDATING.
- Owa Igbara Igbara | Francis Adefarakanmi Agbede.
- Olojudo Ido Oshun | Aderemi Obaleye.
- Oniseri Iseri | Amos A. Farukanmi.
- Oloja Oke Imesi I | James Oludare Arinloye.
- Oloja Oke Imesi II (Now Owa-Ooye of Okemesi) | Enoch Ademola Akinyemi, Oyoyo II.
- Ologere -Ogere | Adelana Osifayo.
- Olo… Obagun | Mufutau Muhammed Oloyede Gbadamosi.
- Elepe Shagamu (Alupon) | Oba Adewale Osiberu.
- Owalubo Ubo | UNKNOWN.
- Onilawe Ilawe | Adebanji Ajibade Alabi.
- Onipokia Ipokia | Yisa ‘Sola Adeniyi Adelakun Olaniyan.
- Onitede Tede | Abdulrauf Oladoyin.
- Olohan Ohan (Ara) | Olubayo Adesola Windapo.
- Alapa Agbonda | John Adegboyega Adeyemi.
- Oloba Akure | Oba Aladetoyinbo Ogunlade Aladelusi.
- Oniro Iro | NAJEEMDEN EYIOWUAWI AROMAYE.
- Olota Otta | Adeyemi Abdulkabir Obalanlege.
- Onitori Itori | Abdul Fatai Akorede Akamo.
Read this also:Net worth of the founder of Glo (Mike Adenuga) 2022 – Forbes.
Top 10 most powerful Oba in Yoruba land and their ranking
The list and explanation of top ten most powerful Oba or traditional kings in Yoruba land are discussed below one by one.
#1. Ooni of Ife
The Ooni of Ife is the most respected and powerful king in Yoruba land. The current Ooni of Ife is Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi. Consistent with the Alake of Egbaland, the Ooni is the initial of the 5 principal Obas in Yoruba land.
#2. Alaafin of Oyo
Alaafin of Oyo is another one of the most powerful Oba in Yoruba land having a palace in Oyo, Oyo state. The current Alaafin of Oyo is Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi who was born on 15 September 1938.
His dynasty dates lower back to the vintage Oyo empire which acknowledges him because of the emperor of the Oyo empire. He is a few of the listings of the richest Yoruba king in Nigeria.
#3. Oba of Benin
Many don’t agree with Benin’s being part of the Yoruba. Nonetheless, based on history, the people of Benin and the entire Edo state are believed to have emanated from the founding fathers of the Yoruba empire. As a result, the Oba of Benin can be classified as a Yoruba traditional ruler, despite the differences in languages and customs of the Benin people and the Yoruba people.
The throne of the Oba of Benin is a very sensitive one, and the process of the coronation of a new Oba is very protracted and often involves many rituals and sacrifices. Little wonder, the Oba is one of the most influential personalities in Yoruba land, and in Nigeria as a whole.
Read this also: Benson Idahosa University (BIU) cut off mark (2022).
#4. Alake of Egbaland
The Alake of Egbaland is the fourth on the list of rankings of top Obas of Yoruba land. The Alake of Egbaland known by his original name Oba Adedotun Aremu is designated as the ‘Alake’ or ‘Oda’ of Egbaland. He is one of the longest-serving rulers in Yoruba land, having been on the throne since the year 2005.
He was the one who cleared the air concerning how the monarchs in Yoruba land should be ranked starting from the Ooni of Ife to the Awujale of Ijebuland.
#5. Awujale of Ijebu land
He is the least on the list of 5 powerful obas in Yoruba land. His kingdom, Ijebu (also known as Jebu or Geebu) was a Yoruba kingdom in pre-colonial Nigeria. It was formed around the fifteenth century. According to legend, its ruling dynasty was founded by Obanta of Ile-Ife. The current Awujale of Ijebuland is Sikiru Kayode Adetona.
Oba Sikiru Adetona, the spiritual leader of Ijebuland is perhaps the longest-serving traditional leader still alive at the moment. He has been on the throne of Ijebuland for over six decades. He is a very influential leader, and he is also very wealthy.
#6. Olubadan of Ibadan
The Oyo state, that’s possibly the biggest state amongst the ones in the Yoruba empire, has multiple conventional rulers. The first is the Alaafin of Oyo, who policies over Oyo town; even as the opposite is the Olubadan of Ibadan, who presides over the affairs of Ibadan.
The current Olubadan of Ibadan is Oba Saliu Adetunji.
#7. Deji of Akure
His imperial majesty, Oba Aladetoyinbo was appointed as the Deji of Akure in the year 2015. He just the spiritual leader of the Yoruba people of Ondo state.
The current Oba of Akure is Oba Aladetoyinbo Ogunlade Aladelusi.
#8. Oba Francis Adedoyin
Oba Francis is the Paramount ruler of Modakeke, a famous city in Osun State, southwestern Nigeria. He became appointed as the Oba of Modakeke on December 2009.
His ascension to the throne became now no longer without its proportion of controversies. It became rumored that Francis Adedoyin did now no longer belong to any of the royal households that had been eligible for Kingship; and the guidelines of the city-country truly that most effective people of royal blood can ascend the throne.
#9. Oba of Ondo
Also known as Jilo the third, Oba Victor Adesimbo is the current Oba of the entire Ondo Empire. He is also one of the most educated traditional rulers in Nigeria, being a medical doctor. He allegedly attended medical school in Nigeria and the United Kingdom.
The current Oba of Ondo is Victor Adesimbo Kiladejo Ademefun who has been on the throne since the year 2008.
#10. Oba Gabriel Adekunle Aromolaran II
Oba Gabriel Adekunle is the Oba of Ilesa, in Osun State, Nigeria. The town of Ilesa is very significant to the history of the Yoruba people. It holds various historical centers and artifacts and is also a popular tourist destination.
He is also a very educated man, having been a school teacher during the time of the defunct old Western region. He is also a notable economist and he has written many books to date.
If you know that this article has helped you know the most powerful Oba or traditional rulers for all communities and states in Yoruba land as of 2022, please share it with your friends and remember to subscribe to our newsletter for more important updates.
Read these also: