Formal letter is a type of letter writing written to an office owner or the person who is neither your family member nor friends but has higher rank than you like an authorities, a CEO, etc. Today’s article, I would like to share with you how to write a formal letter to a company step by step.
In this post, we are going to discuss step by step guides on how to address a formal letter and how to write it with an examples. Now, let’s start!!
How to address a formal letter
If you want to write a formal letter to a company, you will have to use six steps below which are:
- Write the sender’s address and telephone number.
- Place the date directly below the sender’s address.
- Place the recipient’s name one line beneath the date.
- Give the person you’re addressing a salutation.
- Write the body of the letter.
- Sign off your letter with the appropriate salutation.
Any formal letter that lacks one or more of the steps above is rendered as an incorrect letter, hence, it can devalue what you have written in it even though you use big grammars. What that counts here is the appearance of your letter not your English. For you to write a formal letter correctly using the six steps above, please continue reading.
Read these also:
Steps to write a formal letter
#1. Write your address and telephone number
In the upper left-hand corner of the letter, include your name or the sender’s name and telephone number. Follow it with your address in the lines below it and then date of when you are writing it.
#2. Place the date directly below the sender’s address
It should be one line beneath the sender’s address. The date is important for two reasons: if you’re trying to get the person or organization to complete a task in a timely manner (send a paycheck, fix an order, etc.), it will give them a time frame to work with or if you need to save a copy of the letter for legal reasons or posterity, the date is absolutely necessary.
The date of the letter should be the date you’re writing it. The date is very important to include If your recipient needs to reply to your letter in a timely manner.
#3. Place the recipient’s name one line beneath the date
Include his or her title (Mr., Mrs., Ms., Miss, Dr. etc.). Follow the recipient’s name with his/her job title. Below the name, write the name of the company. One line below that, write the recipient’s street address. On the next line, write the recipient’s city, state, and zip code.
#4. Give the recipient a salutation
When it comes to give the recipient of your letter a salutation, using ”Dear Sir/Madam” works fine, or if you know the name of the person, address them directly; ensure, however, that you address them formally using “Rev.”, “Dr.”, “Mr.”, “Mrs.”, or “Ms.”, and include their full name if known. After the salutation, place a colon and add a line between the salutation and the body of the letter.
Read this also: how to transfer data from Glo to Glo.
#5. Write the body of the letter
In a formal letter to a company, the body of it is not advised to be more than three paragraphs. If you can’t say it in three paragraphs or less then you’re probably not being concise enough.
These are how to write a body of a formal letter to a company:
- In the first paragraph, write a friendly opening and then state the reason or goal of the letter. Cut straight to the chase.
- In the second paragraph, use examples to stress or underline your point, if possible. Concrete, real examples are always better than hypothetical examples.
- In the final paragraph, briefly summarize your purpose in writing and suggest how you might want to proceed further.
When writing a body of a formal letter after you have done with the address, first of all, introduce yourself and state the purpose of your letter in the first paragraph. It’s important to quickly engage them and be direct with your language. Your second paragraph should be used to underline the message you’re sending. Use your last paragraph to summarize the purpose of your letter and how you want to proceed. This can include a call to action, such as “I look forward to hearing from you” or “Please contact me at your earliest convenience.”
#6. Sign off the letter
If you are signing off the letter, “Yours sincerely,” “Sincerely,” and “Best,” are all appropriate. Remember to leave a space under your printed name for your signature. End the letter with your title underneath your signature if applicable.
See this also: how to enroll for BVN and get it very fast (step by step guides).
Example of how to write a formal
Detective Inspector G. Lestrade
35 Victoria Embankment
London, England SW1A 2JL, UK
July 1, 1888
Mr. Sherlock Holmes
221B Baker St.
London, England NW1 6XE, UK
Dear Mr. Holmes,
On behalf of the London police force, we request your presence at New Scotland Yard at your earliest convenience. We have a case that requires your special expertise, and we’d prefer to discuss the details in person, considering the sensitivity of the information. Any time before the end of the month is acceptable.
Tips on how to write a formal letter
- Don’t leave a blank line between the sender’s full address and the date. The date comes directly underneath the address.
- When you write a formal letter, it’s important to keep several things in mind to ensure the quality of the letter.
- The introduction of your letter should clearly state the purpose of your correspondence. Make sure to keep it short and to the point.
- Before sending your formal letter, read it over for spelling and grammar errors. A letter free from error will come across as more professional.
- Keep in mind that a formal letter will require a more formal and professional tone than your average letter. Consider your audience and the language you’re using. Avoid any slang and make sure you’re being respectful.
- When you write a formal letter, make sure to include all the proper elements, including the recipient’s address, name, your signature and more.
Please share it with your friends and remember to subscribe to our newsletter if you know that it has helped you know how to write a formal letter to a company or an office for employment, resignation, etc.
Before you leave, you may have an interest to read:
- How to write application letter to bank for everything In Nigeria.
- Types of letter writing and their explanation step by step.
- Top best Islamic love messages for your husband (top 40).
- Best degree courses for politician and their explanation.
- How to become a politician in Nigeria (requirements and everything).
- Why you must have to perform janaba ghusl (man and woman).
- How to check BVN online on any bank (step by step).
- Top 60 Islamic scholars in India 2022.